Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Ego and the Id

Fifteen days....

Boxes packed:  11 halfway, 1 huge rubbermaid tub
Total charity trips: 3
Recycle trips: 1
Items on the curb for big trash pick up: 4 (already picked up by a drive by family - shocking)
Moments of fear of change this weekend: 4ish
Grouch Meter this morning: 8.5

Today marks the last day I have to drop Ryan off at the airport, knowing I won't see him again for another month. This time I'll see him in two weeks permanently! Holy cow, two more weeks and I'll be a Texan in the Windy City. Hope Chicagoland is ready for some southern sass....

This afternoon, as part of the anti-packing movement, we watched a documentary about the lucky 40 who ran the Badwater 135. Yes. Run. Badwater. 135 miles.  Now this was truly fascinating.  Frankly, I think some running dudes were smoking some good stuff and thought an ultra starting in Badwater in the middle of July would separate the boys from the men.  And then I think some dude not in on the joke took it seriously and developed the race. Oddly, people came.....115+ degrees, roads not closed, each runner having a crew to aid them, this sucker is intense.  Runners ranged from their 30s all the way up to 68, some with and without appendages, and these runners have average day jobs and are not professional runners (or Kenyans, Olympians, etc). 

The story  brought to mind that the body is capable of amazing things and mind over body is a powerful thing.  The winner of the ultra in this film ran it is 26 hours and 48 minutes. The runners, the "winners" of the story, were unable to do this on their own. They needed the help and support of the crew and the 'comfort' that they were not the only runners out on that course. While racing is a solitary sport, success was given its badge of honor only through the constant vigilance of the runner and his crew. A Marine was running (fellow Marines were his crew) and dropped out of the race (he required and IV which resulted in disqualification). Instead of heading to a hotel, he and his crew helped a first-timer from the UK who had a crew of 1 (all others had crew of about 3-4 members).  This teaming was the only way she made it through the 135 miles.  The Marines let go of ego and pride to do the right thing.  

I ponder, how often do we let Ego control us and we stand by and watch others stumble, all so Pride can wear her crown of laurel? 

No comments: