Alright, so I am a week late with the Results from the Marathon posting. I did make a good attempt at posting on Friday but the system wasn't letting me load photos. Nonetheless, here it is. Note that this posting is solely my perspective of race day. I guess if you want RJB's, you will need to give him a ring on the blower.
It was really cold last weekend so I went to Target to get a throw away sweatshirt for RJB to wear while waiting at the start line. Came in handy as I cannot believe how cold it actually was. There was a hard freeze warning in the 'burbs and it was about 30 when RJB got up.
Sylvester and I watched the start of the race on TV. I then got dressed, walked to the Red Line in Chinatown and headed to the Loop. I did a last minute change in plans on where to get off and that proved to be an amateur move. I got off at Monroe & State and took off for Monroe and Franklin. Alas, I could not cross LaSalle so I had to go back and take the El south to Jackson and get to Franklin that way (LaSalle dead ends at Jackson - it is actually in the Dark Knight scene at the end with the 18-wheeler and the cool Batman bike.), which was the original plan.
I arrived between mile marker 12 and 13 with plenty of time - I saw the elite women go by. So I was pumped because I would for sure see RJB. I waited. Checked my phone for the runner tracker update (looking for the 10K update). I waited. I cheered. I waited some more. Got frustrated that spectators moved more than 1 car lane onto the road, thereby blocking my rad review right at the curb. I waited. Then I saw the 4:05 pace group go by. Surely I missed him? Surely. There is no way he had yet to cross the 10K marker. So I took off to a McDonald's that had marathon people there to look up pacing.
Well, I TOTALLY missed RJB. I mean, I was there, but never saw him go by. Grr. However, I got RJB's split times and knew he was doing well. And the runner tracking to your email system just wasn't working. Wonderful. I will have to approximate when he will finish. I chilled at McDonald's as long as I could - hands frozen. Visibly shivering (hey, I was standing in 1 place for a little over an hour in 30-some odd degree weather in the shade). Not ready for winter. I got his split at the 30K and took off to the finish.
Now I was on a serious mission. I was going to see my man run by and I was going to cheer my head off when I see him. I owe him that. So off I go to the finish. Good mercy what a trip. You'd think the other spectators were out on a Sunday stroll rather than strategically placing themselves among the race route. Ugg.
I finally landed near the finish line where the risers are set up. I worked my way up to the barriers and stood tippy-toed over the shoulder of quite possibly the tallest woman I have come across in recent years. For about 20 mins I tip toe and then....I see RJB running strong to the finish on the side of the road I was standing! I yell so loudly and suddenly that I startle super tall woman but didn't care because I then took off to try to meet my super fast husband.
He did so well - 3:43:22. I am so proud that I am still practically purring for him. :) He said his legs felt tight last week but no serious pain or soreness (proof in that he didn't hobble around but for right after the race). RJB is starting to feel that post-race depression of having no major race to work towards. So soon I am sure he will pick out his races for 2010.
Pinning his bib the day before
My lookout post at Franklin & Monroe
- between miles 12 and 13
Outside the last chutes of finishers on Columbus
RJB at the CARA post - race room
at the Congress Hotel. Doesn't he look great post-race?
RJB's parents sent cookies on Friday for a job well done!
For those wondering about the title of this post, someone ran the entire race dressed at the Grim Reaper. At some point, Grim passed RJB and a spectator yelled 'go get 'em Death'! Just doesn't stop being funny to us.
All the photos below are from Chicagotribune.com
These were just so good that I wanted to share:



No comments:
Post a Comment