Saturday, June 27, 2009

Little Mrs. Homemaker

Last weekend RJB and I did successfully shop our registry. We also snuck in an upgrade of an appliance we had registered for, received, but then decided we wanted the Mercedes version. And what, oh what could that be? The All-Clad Slow Cooker.  Now, if the thoughts of slow cookery doesn't make your heart flutter, you may want to skim to the next paragraph. This baby has the non-stick aluminum insert so you can sear on the stovetop and put that baby right in the mother ship. And it is dishwasher safe. *sigh* Bliss. I CANNOT wait for fall when the stews, roasts, and chili will be common place in our crib.

So nonetheless, I had to take the slow cooker out for a drive, which translates to some tasty pot roast. Now, in my mind, pot roast is a dish you make when you have a family and I generally liken it to being home with the parentals; so I've never tried my hand at the pot roast. But seeing that I'm a married woman now and the Hubs runs so much he can eat like he has two hollow legs, I thought it would be a good way to break in the slow cooker. And my oh my was it good. I was so pleased with myself, I made a fruit cobbler the next day. 

In the raw



Searing goodness




Ahh, slow cookery. She's a beaut


yes, we did skim the fat


mmm...cobbler




Needless to say, I really enjoyed donning the hat of Little Mrs. Homemaker. Somehow delving in cooking fun made going back to work on Monday not seem so bad. Unfortunately I then got sick - enough that I stayed home on Tuesday (I am sure I am hearing gasps from those who know me well - I NEVER stay home from work for being sick. This was my first 'sick day' in like 3 years (when I got that horrid pink eye but I worked from home the entire time, so not really a sick day) but I digress...)

Due to the aforementioned sick day, I attended the first day of my running club but didn't run. I was on pins and needles leading up to the clinic. Seriously you'd think I never interacted with people before. I also took the el for the first time by myself.  Yes, little JP is growing up! The running group is nearly all women. I was the joker in street clothes so I stuck out. And I will miss this Wednesday because I'll be partying East Coast style in NYC.  BUT I think it will be good. I have a running schedule that I am sticking to so far (I'm only 2 days in...).  I do have a race July 19 and I have picked out two races in October and of course the Turkey Trot in November - all good motivation. 

Otherwise, the week has been rather uneventful.  I have had my fill of people blowing hard, so its nice to have a quiet weekend sans blowing.

No comments: